Adult Click Beetles, Photo Credit CSU Forest Service
What do wireworms and click beetles have in common? Wireworms are the larval stage of click beetles. So where can you find wireworms?
- They inhabit the soil
- They feed on the roots of plants
- They are found in decayed wood
- First the adults can be found in abundance in mid to late spring. The adults lay their eggs in shallow soil.
- Then the larvae become active and tunnel into seeds, roots and other underground structures.
- Next, the pupation occurs in small cells constructed in soil.